Maintenance should focus on correcting problems that may lead to road failure. This involves ensuring that the established drainage system is not compromised. Closing a road during the rainy season can reduce damage caused by vehicles and avoid substantial maintenance costs.
Key Maintenance Practice
- Inspect roads regularly, especially before the heavy rains.
- Keep ditches and culverts free from debris.
- Remove slide material from the road or ditches where it blocks normal drainage.
- Maintain an erosion surfacing such as grass or rock in ditches.
- Close the road during very wet conditions.
- Carry a shovel in your vehicle if possible during rainy season to clean out ditches, redirect water off the road surface.