Afforestation helps in addressing the environmental issues of the world, especially in preventing further global warming and reversing the effects of global warming. It also helps in avoiding desertification.
It is impossible to list out all we gain from afforestation but here is some importance of afforestation;
- · Forests are the renewable resources of nature
- · They are giant sinks of carbon ; they absorb and assimilate carbon dioxide , which accounts for majority of green house gases that are now accelerating global warming
- · They are home to living creatures’ e.g. birds, wild life.
- · They contribute in maintaining biodiversity
- · They regulate the climate
- · They provide industrial timber and fuel
They prevent and mitigate sudden
freshets that lead to flooding
Forest is fundamentally essential in the following ways;
- · Preservation of natural lands against soil run-offs and erosion resulting in retention of fertility of the soil
- · Conservation of water resources
- · Creating a healthy atmosphere for health of humans and other beings
- · Evolution of culture and civilization
- · Providing research opportunities in education and learning
When we compare forest with non forest areas within a single region, we find out that forest areas are usually higher in humidity and mild in temperature compared to non forest [deforested] areas. Water released from forest areas enters the sea and nurtures a wide variety of life forms naturally.